Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sentimental Journey

Last night as I was leaving work, my cousin called. Her news, it is going to be a girl. Her daughter is expecting. Her name is going to be Bain, a family name. After I hung up I realized how blessed I am. God used Suzanne to remind me of all the wonderful people He has placed in my life. Family is so important to me. Of all my family members, I am most likely the most sentimental about family and family memories. I try to share with my family how much I love them. No doubt about the reason, I know why. I started losing family members when I was a baby. Beginning at age 18 months with my Mother.

However, for the people God removed from my world, He replaced and added more. He gave me another Mom who loves me very much and I her. She loved me so much she adopted me. How many women do that? Actually work towards making blended families their own. I never looked at Mother as someone who was trying to replace my mother. She didn't try to do that. She loved me in her own way, as a Mother. I consider myself blessed, I had two Mothers who loved me. One who gave me life and the other who taught me how to live. It was all part of God's plan for me. Psalms 149 tells me that He had my whole life mapped out long before I was born. I have friends and clients who often tell me that their mother is their best friend. I never wanted my mother to be my best friend. I wanted my mother to always be my mother. To care for me, love me and nurture me as only a mother can.

Marianne and Van, my niece and nephew are the light of my life. As far as I know, they have never looked upon me as not being their biological aunt. I cherish every minute I get to share with them. I get excited when I get an e-mail from them, just because I am their aunt and they want to share something in their world with me.

Van has blessed our family with 5 children. His (our) newest is adopted from China and I can't wait to meet her. I once read a poem about adoption that I think sums it all up. One of lines of the poem will forever be a part of me. "My precious child, you didn't grow under my heart, you grew in it." My family for some reason allowed me to grow in their hearts...as we are already doing with Hannah. Thank you, Van, for being willing to to open your heart.

Marianne has a spirit of giving and compassion. Her humor is a gift that God not only gave to her, but to our family. Marianne's humor is one of the strengths of our family. Marianne also has the ability to think "outside the box". What a gift and a talent to have. She is not scared to reach for the "stars". She is a "shining star" and I thank God that He has given her that freedom. God knows just who we need in our world doesn't He?

Shirley. I would love to say she is my best friend, but she is more than that, she is my sister. My friends come and go, they change, they don't always love me unconditionally. I love my sister unconditionally. Who else could to back over my tricycle with the car and I still love her? That is a major issue in your world when you are five years old, to have your one of your sources of transportation bite the dust. I am sure that my parents were just grateful that it was not my cast iron John Deere tractor that she backed over.

My aunts, uncles, cousins and my grandparents allowed me to grow in their hearts. My favorite "Granny story" was the one she would frequently tell me about how she feel in love with me the first time she saw me. She never forgot the clothes I was wearing the very first time she saw me. Her strengths were love and laughter. My Papaw instilled in me his love for roses and gardening. My favorite cousin story about the thunderstorm will always be a smile to my face and heart. My aunts and uncles each contributed their special memories of love to molding me into the person I am today.

God once again. He causes all things to work together for the good. Thanks to my family who lives in my heart.

No comments: